My trip with breast cancer

I am 39 years old and have been diagnosed with breast cancer. I have been asked to post my experiences here.

Monday, June 12, 2006

Burn

Well, my skin under my arm has "separated" (the official term). As far as I am concerned, it has split. The have changed the location of the and size of the "bolis" - the skin-like pad that they lay over me to make the radiation come closer to the top of the skin - so it no longer includes my underarm. Dr. Girsh is a little bit worried that I will have to take some time off. For me, it's no biggie as long as I am off for the first week in July and she said that is already set in stone. I have to get as much air under my arm as possible. This means sitting with my arm stretch over my head actually opening the split in order for it to get as much air as possible. I also have to use the Silvadene cream three times a day. So, it really is a good thing that I am taking this summer off from work. I will set up a lounge chair outside in the shade so that I can read while "airing out". It really looks more painful than I can feel since it is still somewhat numb under there but, as I said to Doug, I have learned that every day has pain in some sense during this time. You just get used to it. Sometimes, I still feel as though I am living in a dream or nightmare and that when I wake up, I will be me again. Right now, I have to look forward to next summer when I will once again have symmetry, cleavage, and red hair, dammit!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home