My trip with breast cancer

I am 39 years old and have been diagnosed with breast cancer. I have been asked to post my experiences here.

Thursday, November 24, 2005

Happy Thanksgiving

It is Thanksgiving morning and it is snowing here. A nice light snow that is not touching the street but enough to call it the first snow of the season.

I have a lo of friends and family to be thankful for. Elisabeth brought the kids out yesterday and we had an anti- Thanksgiving dinner which she cooked all of. Homemade mac and cheese, grilled veggies, ham and pie. We did not talk about anything we were Thankful for, just toasted to the next 12 months in which both of our families will be facing major challenges.

Cousin Rod has been calling me every week just to touch base and remind me that he is thinking of me. I received beautiful flowers from Brendan and Susan, Karin, and my husband. A friend Ingrid from High School spoke to Brennan and has touched base with kind thoughts.

I am thinking that this weekend will be my last of semi-normalcy for quite a while. Today we go to cousin Murph's house for the real thing. All the cousins will be there as well as Uncle Tom and Aunt Ellen and the two dogs! Murphy has been so generous in opening her home to us as well as Michelle and Venecio!

Friday my parents are coming in to do a sweeping two days of painting and moving furniture. I also meet with my medical oncologist to get my schedule for chemo. Doug has some questions about my course of treatment. I have questions like "can I get a prescription for a wig" and "where can I find yoga, massage reiki, etc for cancer patients". Some are still really pushing me for a second opinion. We did contact another cutting edge doctor at MGH but she has not returned any of Doug's calls. Susan wants me straight into Dana Farber. I jut want to get this year going so it will be over. The rest of the weekend will be working on the house and trying to get some of the rooms ready for furniture. I will need to get my hair cut short right around my first day of chemo and get a wig and some more hats!

Will update everything after my appointment on Friday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home