My trip with breast cancer

I am 39 years old and have been diagnosed with breast cancer. I have been asked to post my experiences here.

Monday, November 14, 2005

It just keeps getting worse.

I talked to Dr. Karp this morning and all three nodes that they took are cancerous. They are not sticking together or giant so at least I am not into stage IV. I have my consult with my medical oncologist November 25 at 1pm. I am guessing that I will start chemo treatment the week after.

I am officially in Stage IIIA.

Stage 5-year Relative Survival Rate - IIIA = 56%

Source: American Cancer Society

A five-year survival rate refers to the average number of patients who are still alive five years after diagnosis with a specific stage of breast cancer. After seven years, the survival rate decreases for each stage. The average Stage I breast cancer survival rate is 92%. The Stage II survival rate is 71%, Stage III survival rate is 39%, and the Stage IV survival rate is 11%.
It is important to remember that these survival rates are based on averages. Some women with advanced breast cancer live significantly longer than seven years. Researchers are constantly developing new treatment alternatives to prolong breast cancer survival.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home