My trip with breast cancer

I am 39 years old and have been diagnosed with breast cancer. I have been asked to post my experiences here.

Thursday, December 08, 2005

Out of the Fog

It seems that I have passed through the chemo-brain pretty well and that my brain is back to about 80%. I can actually work again. I must say, though, that if this is my worst side-effect, I will take it!

Had a second opinion at Dana Farber and will stay my course at Lahey. Dr. Chen said that the course I am on is exactly what they would do. The only thing she did say was that I need to meet with a genetic counselor, which I will do soon. Also, she suggested that I go into Boston for my reconstruction and I agreed. There is a new procedure being done at Beth Isreal called DIEP. In this procedure, they do not take as much muscle from the belly for the re-construction - just more fat!!!! Sounds good to me. There are also a couple of studies that she wants me to call her about later on. One is if there is more than 1 cm of cancer left after chemo, confirmed by surgery. So springtime or so for that one. It is using a new drug called Avastin in combination with oral chemo. Avastin has shown to cure brain cancers! There is another study for women under 42 who never get their period back after chemo using Tamoxifen and another drug. We'll wait and see.

Once I meet with the genetic councilor, I will be able to make the decision on a second opinion about surgery. That being said, if I am positive for the gene, I will definitely get a mastectomy. If I am negative, I may try to get a lumpectomy if the tumors shrink enough. The genetic thing is kinda scary. Positive? I need to think about getting my ovaries out as well! OH, well. Not like I needed them any more. Since Dale seemed to have gone through menopause without too many side effects and relatively early, she will be a good resource if that decision comes up. But also, Michelle would need to get genetic testing if I am positive even though she is only half-sis. I am glad she is having a boy!

That's it for now - lots of work to do!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home