My trip with breast cancer

I am 39 years old and have been diagnosed with breast cancer. I have been asked to post my experiences here.

Thursday, December 01, 2005

Thursday

Today is the first chemo. I went yesterday and got the most gorgeous haircut from Tiffany! One of Julianna's friends said this morning that I look like "that lady from Freaky Friday" Jamie Lee curtis. I'll take the compliment.Went out last night to the martini bar and had a flirtini before group. Group was good and I am glad I went back. It was all about the mind/body connection. The best part was when Pam asked us how we feel when people say "stay positive!" and the surrounding studies that scare women like us that if you have a negative thought that your cancer cells will grow and multiply, blah, blah, blah. The best way for us to stay positive is to be true to our feelings. Scared, annoyed, angry, etc are all positive thoughts if they are really what we are feeling. One of the many reasons people say that is that they really are saying "hey, I don't really want to deal with you and your cancer right now so just stop". I also know that since most people in this world need to "understand" someone else's feelings that they try to make my story about them. And I can say "your lecturing (or whatever) is not helping me right now" and walk away. I need to meditate, do yoga, or whatever my body/mind is telling me to do at the moment. And bascially concentrate on myself because I know I am the one and only person fighting this battle for me. The more good things I do for my mind or my body, the better I will be able to handle that bad days.

Well, there is my rant for the day. I will try to get a picture of myself in my gorgeous new do up before the end of the day. Oh, I had lots of suchi last night after group and it was great!!!!

1 Comments:

  • At 5:50 PM, Blogger Aldon Hynes said…

    Great post! Perhaps part of 'staying positive' really means not letting other people tell you what you are supposed to be thinking, feeling, etc and making sure that you get enough vodka and wasabi to balance out when they do.

    Look forward to seeing the pic, best to everyone.

    When you can, tell us about the first chemo.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home